7 September 2020

Reconciliation

‘What time you liked me, Lydia,
And no young man but me
Caressed your neck, I matched the King
Of Persia in my glee.’

‘What time you burned for Lydia
And not for Chloë’s face,
Then I outshone old Ilia,
The mother of our race.’

‘That Chloë holds my soul enslaved;
She strums a honeyed lay:
I would not fear to lose my soul
If Fate her death could stay.’

‘And I am wasted in a fire
For Thurine Calaïs;
Yea I would die not once but twice,
To ransom him from Dis.’

‘What if old love could come again
To yoke us like before?
If I threw flaxen Chloë out
Would you come through my door?’

‘Though he is fairer than a star
And you out-thrash the waves;
O heart of cork, let’s go in love
Together to our graves.’

***

 Horace III.9

‘Donec gratus eram tibi
     Nec quisquam potior bracchia candidæ
Cervici juvenis dabat,
     Persarum vigui rege beatior.’

‘Donec non aliâ magis
     Arsisti neque erat Lydia post Chloën,
Multi Lydia nominis,
     Romanâ vigui clarior Ili.’

‘Me nunc Thræssa Chloë regit,
     Dulcis docta modos et citharæ sciens,
Pro qua non metuam mori
     Si parcent animæ fata superstiti.’

‘Me torret face mutua
     Thurini Calaïs filius Ornyti,
Pro quo bis patiar mori
     Si parcent puero fata superstiti.’

‘Quid si prisca redit Venus
     Diductosque jugo cogit aëneo?
Si flava excutitur Chloë
     Rejectæque patet janua Lydiæ?’

‘Quamquam sidere pulchrior
     Ille est, tu levior cortice et inprobo
Iracundior Hadria:
     Tecum vivere amem, tecum obeam lubens.’

No comments:

Post a Comment